View Single Post
Old 07 January 2015, 12:21   #16

Since I got my A500 in '88 I started 'learning' 68k assembler somewhere around 1989. Seka was the first assembler and since I didn't have a manual there was much frustration. On the other side there were moments of big fun when the first lines worked, something like:

btst #6,$bfe001
   bne  mouse
Or switching off the LED ...

My first deeper insight in Assembler on the Amiga was the Assembler course in the german magazine 'Amiga Special' . Anyone of the german speaking guys here remember that? The course was quite good, showing how to enable interrupts, manage the blitter and so on. There was even an issue showing how to trackload. Not everything was 'clean', even not from a hardware banging perspective (using absolute addressing with 'org/load' and stuff) but anyway, it showed me how to code with Seka and the Amiga (and geee, finally I knew how to actually safe a program with 'wo' ) .

No, there were no sources, no books (no money for it). I remember reading an M68000 book lend from the public library. Searching for (cheap) sources of information was part the fun I had back then. Snooping around on some doc-disks our swappers gathered and so on. Later, in the 90s things went much better when I made friends with some friendly coders out there (shouts to Lynx/Panic and Calypso/Vanish) and learnt a lot of them. Talking about friendly coders: most of the time when I met other coders they showed themselves as arrogant assholes. That led to my decision to ignore other coders completely on copy parties etc. (which maybe made me looking like an arrogant asshole to other people
Page generated in 0.05868 seconds with 9 queries