Thread: Beats of Fire
View Single Post
Old 07 January 2015, 11:20   #357
Registered User

leathered's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 39
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Regarding an ECS 7mhz version, I'd probably prefer less colors and more enemies on screen, as acurate as possible with tha Arcade version... but then I am not working on the game, so I can't ask for too much.

Slowdown is something very acceptable in a game like this IMO. Final Fight slowdowns, but it's not that bad IMO.

I would like to say the original Final Fight game for Amiga coded by R.Aplin wasn't a bad programmed game at all IMO. To me, it looks decent enough, it has big sprites moving at a decent speed, it has a good amount of frames of animation... maybe if it wasn't an Atari ST port it could had been a lot better, still I don't think it's awful programming...

... it's just awful GAME DESIGN. That's what really pisses me off about that game (and so many other Amiga games). It's clear the programmer was capable and the machine could handle it, is just that the programmer seemed to have no idea of how to do a good game (or maybe really lacked the time to polish it properly).

I sometimes feel a lot of those games weren't even tested properly. Today I played the Amiga port of Vigilante for the first time. How the heck could they screw that SO BADLY? And, again, I can't believe someone actually PLAYED that before the game was released and said "Ok, this is good enough to be released".
I am largely of the same opinion regarding the original conversion. I persevered with the differences and still find it a playable but very different game. I think back then programmers just weren't given the time or resources to come up with the goods it seems the remit was largely to get the graphics looking good for screenshots on the box. Double Dragon 2 was decent and looked the part but some moves missing that were present in DD1. For Final Fight that situation was even worse. These games weren't coded by large teams and probably without anyone playtesting, but I myself am bemused by this apparent 'regression' in very similar game design.

I'll put together the demo for ECS so you can make your own mind up about the speed I would appreciate that as I don't have ECS machine to test. Bear in mind that you will need 2mb chip and roughtly 250kb fast but I can cut the music for now if that's an issue.

You are right, if I was playing this on ECS I'd rather it was a close conversion rather than a poorly scaled down 'port' from another machine. And if it comes to it, all it needs is for someone to convert the gfx into fewer colours (actually 16 is a little inaccurate we still have our great copper to help out) let's say 4 bitplanes as opposed to 5.

Which brings us to...

Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
Attachment 42700
Try this.

I forgot to say, I placed in the image the SNES/GBA graphics, then, they are smaller than the arcade ones, I think is better for the Amiga OCS/ECS.

If you like, I can arrange the background in tiles to make a map.
Wow, firstly thanks for that!

I checked the floor tiles which appear to be 16*16 tile sets, but the total height of one section of the tiles was 195 I'm guessing this just happened during the colour conversion.

This engine uses a height of 208 (13 tiles), of course it's no issue to change that. I also appreciate that using the GBA graphics should be a little smaller, and you would think so! But I also recall that the GBA adapted the SNES graphics which I am familiar with. Anyway whatever they did, the upshot is that the GBA gfx are no smaller than the arcade gfx which have been adapted.

What I ended up doing was a resize of roughly 90% from the arcade for the characters. The graphics for the stages are now taken directly from the arcade and re-coloured using a ruleset to 'emulate' the copper.

They get one 16*16 tile chopped (usually merged somewhere in the middle of the screen) leaving the playing area well alone (the floor tiles are always 100% ported). This gives us a mapped height of 208 pixels.

For the colour, there is a standard character palette of 23 colours (above) with another 9 colours for the background which are copper 'optimised' for each stage. Obviously this will be different for 16 colours but I would suggest starting at converting the character palette to 16 and going from there. Every stage can use a different palette!

The gfx you sent will be useful to keep for sure, and the results are surprisingly good.
I know you've got the bit between your teeth for a new project but if you feel like it you can find plenty of work here FFAGA towers = )
I'll email you some of the stuff to look over.
leathered is offline  
Page generated in 0.10522 seconds with 9 queries