Thread: Beats of Fire
View Single Post
Old 11 December 2014, 02:01   #319
CaptainM68K-SPS France
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Originally Posted by Steve T View Post
As Leathered said, we are looking into some palette changes to brighten up the whole thing, I've made some suggestions, as you can see in those above pics that Turrican3 has posted tonight, there's a real lack of warmth in the greys which are too greeny/olive and its all a bit lacking in primaries, compared to what I posted on the previous page, arcade games should have plenty of vivid colour (generally without being psychedelic)and warmth... Hopefully what I've done with the graphic adds some of that.

The only way I could add primaries and warm the greys was by changing the free pallete, this meant that a few tones from the fixed palette weren't used at all, or very little because they just didn't fit, or were too close to another tone in the fixed pallete... So we're trying to make the fixed palette broader, more useful & attractive, while keeping it from breaking all the graphics work done so far.

I think there might be just 30 different tones in my image.

So hopefully *if* that works out I'm going to be able to put a few more tones in my bonus round background to help it all stick together better - though I think it works OK as is - it won't look drastically different and the interpolation *will* be staying, but it will be smoother.

I think Guy will look even better with the new palette.

I appreciate your efforts Turrican3, without you I wouldn't have been able to do this, I hope there will be no hard feelings if occasionally some of my work is used in place of your own.

Well, welcome Steve

What i can say, from here, is that final fight original arcade game use a truckload colors to be converted correctly in 32 colors. R. Aplin had troubles with this on the A500 version. The best compromise is 64 colors and A1200 for the processing power. The 500 even with 2mb of chip is underpowered if you want to do colors+animations+music+sound.

I remark however that you are VERY talented, guy has never looked so good until now.

I have already extracted from the CPS1 game code and tiles some enemies sprites frames (i think leathered should have sent them to you).

guy and haggar use something like 80 sprites frames, Damned is 37-42 frames, Edi.e 42 frames, and lately i was on G.Oriber and cousins sprites, which are totalizing a big 63 frames each.

My only problem is that making the tiles words and the actual sprites tiles is SO time consuming because i have no tool to do this

I can't actually spend 8 hours a days per enemy sprite type (not kidding, i must crawl in Final Fight ASM code, find the tiles word VRAM codes, and then the right palette, and build the sprites frames from tiles.
Page generated in 0.05782 seconds with 9 queries