View Single Post
Old 29 October 2014, 04:19   #51
Mark Wright

Oh well, colour my face red once again :-) It's clear that no-one supports my theory as to "why did people crack games?" (at least initially) with my answer "to make them available in their home territory due to lack of local distribution", despite all of my evidence and protestations to the contrary. No surprise for me there, though I stand by some of what I said. A bit... Or maybe it's time to let it go... Yes.... Aaaarrrrgh!

OK! Having FAILED to EVER influence anyone with this argument, I now wave the white flag of defeat: I SURRENDER! Let my discredited testimony be stricken from the annals of history! I concede defeat! I plead forgiveness from anyone offended by my remarks!

If anything, I was trying to pay a compliment to the pioneering Euro groups who became accidental household names among UK computer gaming pirates in the 80s and 90s. I stand by that part of my theory: Rodney in Runcorn or Wayne in Worcester were concerned only with wanting to play Turrican without having to pay full-price. They had no interest in, or concept of, who "Skid Row" were, other than knowing their intro delayed the action. They didn't know that "Skid Row" were the kindly benefactors who liberated the data and made it possible for them to own it for whatever price their clever computer whizz-kid chum charged for it. Surely HE was the one to thank anyway? Ad infinitum...

I concede I was wrong to propose the notion that games were originally cracked to make them available outside their home terriories. Clearly we were *ALL* indiscriminate thieves, unashamed to grab the latest "hot stuff" wherever it was made or cracked. For myself, I amassed several Posso(TM) boxes full of game releases during my time in the scene (the MAJORITY cracked abroad and re-imported to the UK) but these were full of disks retained for mostly sentimental reasons: iconic intro; released by a friend; something I might play now and again; etc. But then I was never a big gamer.

So, why did people crack games then?

Well, I'll repeat the received wisdom from now on: it was clearly to have a laugh and to gain notoriety by making available for free, as quickly and as widely as possible, something as new as possible (ideally before release), in order to decimate the future viability of the "evil corporations" who dared charge for the development and publishing of each desirable item, thus accellerating the decline of the target platform and surrounding industry, all in the name of adding a graffiti tag. Modern-day Robin Hoods. Must remember that. Modern-day Robin Hoods.

Page generated in 0.07008 seconds with 9 queries