View Single Post
Old 26 October 2014, 16:30   #1
Vesko

Send a message via Skype™ to Vesko
Question A500 HDD solution

Greetings to the Amiga community

Recently I bought an Amiga 500 and I wonder whether it's worth getting a hard disk for it. I don't plan to upgrade the Kickstart ROM which is version 1.3. I've read that 1.3 can autoboot from hard disk. I considered few options:
  • ACA500 is a great device but I don't like ACA500 Configuration menu that will appear every time I turn on my A500. I think there is no way to disable it or configure it to boot directly from the CF card. Correct me if I'm wrong
  • A590 is another possibility but I've read that GVP Impact A500 HD8+ is better
  • GVP Impact A500 HD8+ is a great device and has the same shape as the Amiga. The only problem is that SCSI drives are difficult to find and quite expensive
  • Alfa Data AlfaPower AT-Bus is the one I consider buying because it uses IDE drives and they are quite easy to find and very cheap. I can also use IDE-to-CF adapter and use CF cards instead.

I have few questions regarding the mentioned devices:
  1. Which interface - IDE or SCSI - does Kickstarter/Workbench 1.3 work better with?
  2. What are the hard disk capacity limits for the different interfaces?
  3. I bought A500 for compatibility with older games which btw are not designed to work with hard disk. There are some games that support hard disk installation but most probably they will also work without problems on A1200 which I plan to buy in the future. So is it worth adding hard disk to A500 or better to save for buying A1200 which has build in hard disk support?
  4. Are there any games/ software that works only on A500 and at the same time supports/requires HDD?

Thank you for your answers.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05108 seconds with 9 queries