View Single Post
Old 25 October 2014, 13:39   #20
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
I've attempted many times elsewhere to put forward my own views, but have always been shouted down, partly I suspect because there simply aren't enough old timers paying attention anymore in order to corroborate my points.
Depends how you define "old timers" really...

Quote:
And herein lies my first controversial statement: "cracking was invented in Europe." It was born out of necessity.
This is a bold claim but not one that can really be backed up; cracking's genes can be traced back to America in the late 1970s and the first crack screens (the forerunners to crack intros) date back to the early 1980s on the Apple II from there as well.

Quote:
So, my second controversial statement: "the early cracked games only made it back to UK and US shores as a bi-product and were never meant for us." It was only inevitable, though. How could you control the genie now it's out of the bottle? Sure enough, before long, UK teams were cracking and releasing UK games to the UK; same with the Americans.
Putting the Apple II scene aside, the American C64 scene had crackers pretty much from day one with lone crackers moving over from other 6502-based systems like the Apple II or occasionally VIC 20. 1982 was also the year Eagle Soft Incorporated started in Canada, predating most if not all of the European groups or indeed solo crackers.

The UK was a little slower off the block in part because the C64 didn't properly arrive here until some time in 1983 and this era probably isn't as well documented as it could be; that said, some of the more legendary groups from the C64 like the Teesside Crackling Service, Yak Society or Doughnut Cracking Service were up to speed by 1984.

Quote:
Perhaps by this stage, cracking really was an "industry" with money changing hands between those involved. From industrial espionage to mafia and terrorism.
Well, there was the Apple Mafia but that isn't really the same thing... =-)

Quote:
However. I really don't think that the likes of Mr Zeropage, Lord Blitter, Conqueror & Zike and Rob had in their minds the liberation of software, just so some pathetic British fucking pipsqueak schoolkid could parade around the playground boasting to his unenlightened friends that he'd personally ripped off some software
No, that's not the reason they cracked but it also isn't an exclusively British thing to sell on what they did as you seem to be implying; there were "local lamers" everywhere and anybody who was involved with the cracking scene usually had some contact with them regardless of where they were based or indeed if they wanted to or not.

Page generated in 0.05326 seconds with 9 queries