View Single Post
Old 25 October 2014, 05:31   #211
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to darkfalzx
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
If I remember correctly game have slowdowns even with 2 or more enemies on screen. Maybe it's just copy+paste fun to show game graphics. Borders were often if not always removed from screenshots so maybe sometimes interface too.
On Amiga and Atari ST both - Barbarian and Obliterator looked like they are held together with string and electric tape. You could easily glitch them out even without trying too hard. Same could be said about the c64 and ZX Spectrum games - I believe on Spectrum you could glitch through a wall and crash the game on the very first screen. Stability, speed and control-wise the PC version was the best, even if it wasn't nearly as nice-looking. In it all the icons were mapped to the F-keys. While not the best setup - it was still better than trying to play the game with a mouse.

I have recently replayed the Amiga Barbarian (1) - and it's an even sadder mess than I remember. Not only is framerate disgustingly low for such a simple game, but the control system is just a horrid mess. With only a tiny bit of fudging it could have totally been retooled for an Amiga joystick. The collision is a joke - in fact I'm unsure if there is a collision engine in that game at all, or each screen just has a simple set of if-then statements to determine walkable sections. Even such things as respawn system is broken on most screens. Remaking this game will be... interesting.

Have the makers of Barbarian ever been interviewed? I'd love to know how that game came to be.

Last edited by darkfalzx; 27 October 2014 at 05:26.

Page generated in 0.04304 seconds with 10 queries