View Single Post
Old 24 October 2014, 09:52   #208
Lobotomika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I was indeed referring to the Palace game.

Not tried the other version.
Yeah I agree what you said about the palace one. Kids in my school loved it just because you could decapitate people. Oddly enough Psygnosis' Barbarian II also had decapitations probably because they somehow wanted to benefit from the common mix up between two games. This is lawsuit-worthy material nowadays.

You could decapitate certain types of enemies (but not others for some unknown reason, probably laziness or tight development deadlines) and there were actually a few enemies that could decapitate you in the late parts of the game unless you had purchased a helmet from the town which you never did the first time because it didn't seem to have any apparent benefits until you were one-shot and killed at some random moment you were feeling invincible. I still remember how I felt the first time it happened, nice memories.

Psygnosis' Barbarian II was also doomed because the prequel had terrible controls, by terrible I mean POINT AND CLICK kind of terrible (see the attached screen) so whenever someone wanted to specify the game as "the psygnosis version" there was a chance the other party would think about the first psygnosis game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfalzx View Post
Another massive flaw were some of the smaller enemies early in the game (like slugs and spiders) that were almost impossible to fight against. You'd just get stun-locked and killed, or worse yet - get trapped at the bottom of a pit with one of those bastards, and have them knock you off the ladder for the next 10 minutes until you either die or get insanely lucky. Those enemies seem like they were a product of some miscommunication in the team. They are clearly killable, as can be verified by hitting them from a platform below theirs, but Hegor has no attacks low enough to hit them from a level playing field.
Lastly, the game does nothing to prevent you from getting trapped in a "walking dead" state, like misstepping, and triggering closure of a critical door. Or saving a game after a certain event, where upon restoring you find that your way is now barred.
I know what you mean but I don't know if these were flaws or deliberate decisions. There's no part in the game you can't kite the slugs and spiders to the opposite corner you want to go to and then attempt a quick escape. They were a pain in the ass but that was never a gamebreaker but I agree you wouldn't have to hit them at one precise frame of their jumping animation.

I don't remember that I've been trapped in this game but maybe I have. There were instant deaths like invisible pits and instant decapitations but I would know that I were fucked the instant I were unlike the beast series that would allow you to go on and on with no implication that the game can no longer be completed. Because of that I can only praise the beast series for their artistic achievements but as long as game design is concerned they're bad. Again, never had the same happen to me in Barbarian 2 so I don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35_screen5.png
Views:	1239
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	41993  

Page generated in 0.04332 seconds with 11 queries