Thread: SD card adapter
View Single Post
Old 09 September 2014, 12:28   #20
Thalion Webshrine
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
I need to transfer hundreds of megs of Amiga source code from a real A3000 (and then an A4000) to my PC so I can copy the data I want to a SD card for use with FPGA Arcade Replay.
Do you think that is something most users are going to want to do very often?

I am sure you've considered connecting your hard disk drives directly to your PC? Back in the day I had a PCI SCSI Ultra Wide card for my Windows PC with a super long data cable, didn't even take the hard drive out of my A3000, just swapped SCSI data cables.

The theoretical max transfer for the parallel port is 715K per second (every bus cycle). Obviously, your're not going to get that, but you could likely get a couple of hundred K per second. That ZIP interface has a lot of control stuff to setup and it's getting 114K per second. This biggest issue I see is that this needs external power because the parallel port only has 10mA of current available.
I also had an 8-wire PC2Amiga parallel cable and SW on the PC and the Amiga. USB parallel ports are very cheap if a good transfer rate can be achieved? No need for external power supply. Software already available with source code.

Last edited by alexh; 09 September 2014 at 12:35.
Page generated in 0.05164 seconds with 9 queries