Thread: Rainboot 3.2
View Single Post
Old 28 August 2014, 22:33   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

emufan that's a great suggestion (like always).

cracyc I made the background, but I believe it can be improved, so better not to upload it. Anyway the problem is that the OS3.5 config uses an animation that needs a white background (and not just where the ball spins, it has to be all the background, just like in the AmiKitRainboot config I've uploaded), and if not it looks bad. If you can get the OS3.5 config to work without that animation I will make the image that fits. If you see, your image of the config doesn't have that small spinning boingball either.

It seems very difficult to make a new configuration. Read (don't miss) this:

"...
DAD: Many people think that it is quite complicated to configure Rainboot. Why did you decide not to write a comfortable configuration editor as it is usual for such programs? What is your advice for those who have problems configuring it?

AF: Unfortunately I started to code the RCC, Rainboot Configuration Creator, but I started it the totally wrong way. It's now a big fat program with a lots of bugs and I'm afraid of looking in the sources because it's so messy. If I had started it in a modular way everything would be so easy now, so I'm kind of disappointed of myself. I would really start to reprogram the whole program but the lack of support prevents me from doing so. I hardly get any registration for Rainboot and cracked versions are all around. I even get no bug report at all, for example the Rainboot 3.0 on Aminet has a real serious bug in it which noone has discovered yet, although you will discover it if you use the program. So what tells this to me? It tells to me: man, noone is using your program so why put any further effort in it? I would really like to expand Rainboot very much if I would get only a bit of support from the users. And that doesn't mean that I want registrations! Of course I also want them, but if you don't want to register, send me at least a mail and state: "Yeah, I'm using your program....keep it updated" or so. Another thing that gets onto my nerves is that some people are always critizing Rainboot and writing wrong stuff about it. Some are too stupid to get it running properly and then just write: "The shit does not work. Smash it away." For example in a German news magazine (AMIGA aktuell) my CD-ROM was reviewed and the person who wrote the test was shouting: Rainboot does not work on my high super duper Amiga, it was written for low-end Amigas and will only run properly there. It does not run on graphics boards either. Well, nearly every user runs Rainboot on graphics boards and so I know it runs although I haven't got of such a setup. So I contacted that person and wanted to help him to get Rainboot running. I asked him for a bug report now more then four times over a period of two months and he keeps saying: "I will send it later, no time bla bla bla". Well, he doesn't seem to be interested in this at all but he wrote that Rainboot does not run properly. He also wrote that "he wouldn't mind me coming to him and seeing what's wrong there". Bad humor that is, he doesn't help me in any way and I'm really willing to help him!
"

Edit: It's difficult, but I've got already a new config for AKReal from scratch this time with RCC that I hope to show soon (well, now that I've started I want to explore some of the possibilities), and also it's nice to try to make it if you like to work with images, add music, effects and related .

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 August 2014 at 02:34.

Page generated in 0.04304 seconds with 10 queries