View Single Post
Old 14 July 2014, 15:03   #30
djvernon

Unhappy Problem with A1200 40MB Quantum Go Drive connected to PC

Hi, I have a similar problem to the one earlier in this thread, where I have removed a working 40MB Quantum 'Go' Drive from my A1200 and tried to add it to WinUAE (version 2.8.1) using the 'Add Hard Drive...' option, but the drive isn't listed. I have tried for several hours and have read lots of different posts but haven't managed to work out what the exact problem is.

Please note that I am running WinUAE as administrator, on Windows 7. The drive is attached to the PC using a 2.5" IDE to USB adapter (from an external drive caddy). I have also first checked that the drive is visible to Windows by running command 'wmic diskdrive list brief', which lists the drive as '\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1' (see attached wmic.png).

Looking at the resulting winuaebootlog.txt (also attached), it's clear that WinUAE is correctly ignoring the disk because it's reporting a device size of zero, i.e.:-
opening device '\\?\usbstor#disk&ven_quantum&prod_go40a&rev_#45721940a000&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}'
device id string: 'QUANTUM GO40A '
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO failed with error code 1.
IOCTL_DISK_GET_LENGTH_INFO not supported, detected disk size may not be correct.
BPS=512 Cyls=0 TPC=0 SPT=0 MediaType=12
device size is zero!
(I have also run a little test program called TestHD which reports the same as WinUAE, i.e. the disk's Cylinders, Tracks per cylinder and Sectors per track all come back as 0).

I'd like to ask the following:-

1) Has anyone experienced the same problem and managed to solve it?

2) Is the problem most likely caused by the IDE to USB adapter (e.g. because it's not compatible with this old drive) or is it more likely to be the drive itself that's faulty (even though it's working in the A1200)?

3) If the IDE to USB adapter is the problem, am I best off trying an 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter instead? (e.g. like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Laptop...item2c5d8cc605

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wmic.png
Views:	83
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	40514  
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (14.2 KB, 286 views)

Page generated in 0.05246 seconds with 10 queries