View Single Post
Old 28 June 2014, 17:56   #364

Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Hey good idea! Did you use Timidity and can you guide us too?
Sure. It was quite simple once I got the hang of it, but I do have a fair amount of audio-gear on my PC, so I don't know how easy it will be without an audiocard with midi-in on the PC side.

I have my amiga hooked up to a Pyramid midi-interface, and I have a midicable connected to the midi-in on my PC audiocard. MIDI to USB cables are readily available and I don't see a reason why they should not work as well. In which case you wouldn't need MIDI-in on the PC-side.

I have my MIDI-instruments set up through Kontakt (there is a free version called Kontakt player and there are tons of free instruments). I have not played around with timidity, but after checking out the websites I guess the soundfont-support will do a lot of the work for you. I simply set Kontakt up with all the instruments i wanted (Bars & Pipes demosong has a flute, some violins etc.) and patched the input on each instrument in Kontakt so that the corresponded with the outputs on Bars & pipes. And voilla: 24bit samples playing controlled by midi on the Amiga. It works flawlessly and the sky is the limit when it comes to fidelity.

As Timidity has soundfont playback built in (you dont have to load each samle and route the signal to it) I guess that installing RolandMT32 soundfonts will result in correct playback if the program on the Amigaside is sending MT32-calibrated midi to the PC.

This was pretty much my idea for the RaspberryPI, and I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Last edited by Overmann; 28 June 2014 at 18:31.
Page generated in 0.05990 seconds with 9 queries