View Single Post
Old 26 June 2014, 13:30   #81
Italian Amiga Zealot

Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
I actually don't think it's got anything to do with 'wealth', spending a few hundred quid on computer equipment is within the means of 90% of people these days, it's more down to hype and/or stupidity in my opinion. You don't see old P133 processors selling for hundreds of pounds.
That's the thing - even if something is overhyped as hell you just don't waste 700 quids on it if you can't spare it.

The problem is that Amiga accelerators were a niche of a niche. While you didn't have as many Wintel machines around as you have now, they weren't exactly rare.

It's a matter of fact that the Amiga population around 95-96 was at best a mere 10% of the Wintel market, and of that 10% I'm not sure if even the 3-4% of it bought an accelerator for their Amiga.

That said, they aren't exactly rare either as of the thousands of classic Amiga users nowadays not many will spend 700 quid on an accelerator - so the few that are around are enough to cover the big spenders

Be assured that if a 060 costed just 150 pretty much everyone would have one in their A1200, and the entire supply would just dry up in a few weeks

Last edited by jbenam; 26 June 2014 at 13:37.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.08296 seconds with 9 queries