View Single Post
Old 04 June 2014, 23:38   #33
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Fair enough. Would YOU be able to do it on a c64?
No, I lack the knowledge, but just look at Turrican 2 on the C64. Runs at 50 FPS Vsync'd.

Originally Posted by Havie View Post
I think the solution to getting maximum speed is to use sprites for the pipes (which I am working on) and strangely extending the screen to full width might make everything faster as I think I can move sprites smoothly off the screen and have no need to blit large black rectangles?
A better approach would be to use the infinite scrolling trick. I'll give some hints first. The basic ingredients are: An extra wide screen (say 320*2+16*2 pixels wide), 16 pixel wide tiles, hardware scrolling, and blitting the same two 16 pixel columns in two places at the same time. Takes almost no blitter time, and you're not restricted by the number of sprites you can have on screen.

If you need help, ask.
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Also, using sprites I think I won't need to double buffer and this will be a saving in CPU cycles too.
Double buffering shouldn't use much CPU time because you're just telling the video chip to fetch its data from somewhere else each frame.
Page generated in 0.06784 seconds with 9 queries