View Single Post
Old 12 May 2014, 21:43   #8
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
As far as I can tell, all we need now to move things forward are for some talented FPGA coders in the Classic community to invest in Vampire boards and help develop this CPU core.
Programming an fpga is specialized and more difficult than most software programming. Designing and implementing a modern pipelined processor in fpga is even more specialized. I doubt there would be very many qualified individuals in the Amiga community that could contribute to the fpga CPU design and programming. The community could be instrumental in testing and debugging the CPU. The community would also be needed to fund fpga hardware with purchases.

Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Would it be possible to set up some kind of bounty for this important project?
Money could encourage and allow the core developers to work on the project more. I have my doubts that enough money to make a difference could be raised without being connected to the production of some hardware. Even if a bounty for a finished sythesizable core that anyone could use was a goal, there would still be obstacles. The core would have to be adapted for each implementation which is not "easy". Also, what would be the definition of working and debugged? I'm not opposed to the idea and it's not my decision to make. I'm just pointing out some of the possible difficulties.

Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Going fully open source is what's needed. Documentation, PCB schematics & layout , HDL and synthesis scripts, plus firmware.

None of this closed source... "released when its ready" rubbish
It will be "released when it's ready" is better than the perpetual "2 more weeks", IMO. Open source is a great concept from the beneficiary point of view. It's almost like putting in a request for government handouts and an inheritance. Maybe enough charity could bring back the Amiga though .
Page generated in 0.06381 seconds with 9 queries