View Single Post
Old 17 March 2014, 11:42   #96
Solo761

I had "fun" this weekend with Kingston 16GB 266x CF card. It is original, bought in store locally, not an ebay fake.

I prepped CWB lite 3.1 (this card is for my A600) in WinUAE, set doobrey's 44.20 scsi.device, connected CF via USB reader as usual. I used HDToolBox that comes as standard with CWB in tools folder. I used it as well with Transcend 16GB 133x CF card I set up for my A1200 and it worked without problems.

This time however... Everything looked fine, partitioned it, set first partition as 500MB FFS, rest space as one PFS3 partition, so far so good, set MaxTransferRate to 0x1fe00. Saved config, rebooted, also looked fine, formatted both partitions and when I tried to copy WB to it half way done got some error, I think it was something about blocks, and then partitions disappeared from WB. Rebooted and partitions are still missing. But in HDToolBox everything looks fine. Back to PC, formatted it again, put some files onto it to be sure to overwrite what amiga left (I had cases where I formatted it on PC, cleaned in diskpart, and when I connected it to amiga and created partitions as they were old ones would reappear although I didn't even format new ones, so I guess PC format it doesn't wire to the area amiga uses by default), then diskpart clean and back to amiga.

This time I only made 500MB DH0 partition, again everything looked fine, but this time I got an error while formatting, and again partition dissapeared... Changed transfer rate to lower value and partition reappeared, tried to format and again same story. To cut long story short, I tried more transfer rate values but it didn't help.

Then I tried with HDInstTools 6.9 from aminet (hdinst.lha) and it read drive geometry differently, as someone said, looked "fake". But as last try I tried to go with it and this time there were no problems. Partition was created, formatted, I copied WB files to it and everything worked perfectly. Made one large PFS3 partition from rest of the space and also no problems.

This is what HDToolBox said

Cylinders: 30167
Heads: 16
Blocks per Track: 63
Blocks per Cylinder: 1008

similar values as with transcend one, cylinders number was different, apparently kingstone CF has cca 500MB less.

While HDInstTools reported this

Cylinders: 104496
Heads: 291
Blocks per Track: 1
Blocks per Cylinder: 291 (this isn't displayed in HDInstTools, I just put it here for consistency, it's Heads * Blocks per Track)

For some reason with this values it works without problems, although it can be it's because HDInstTools and it works because of that. Too bad I didn't try manually entering values from HDToolBox (max disk size in both cases), but this worked and after a day of banging my head and reformating I just wanted to be done with it .

I had some "features" with HDInstTools. I couldn't load PFS3 aio with HDInstTools 6.9, for some reason it would read it as FastFileSystem type and then when I tried to format it it opened FFS type format dialog, not PFS3 one. In desperation I did a no-no and used HDToolBox to install PFS3 into RDB (or where ever it goes) and then created partition and set partition type with HDInstTools. So, partition creation with HDInstTools and PFS3aio install with HDToolBox and I finally had it working.

I formatted them regularly, from WorkBench. This is another "feature" HDInstTools had in my case . I did all of this from CWB image in WinUAE, it was DH0, first partition I created with HDInstTools I also named DH0, I tried formatting it from HDInstTools but instead of "my" DH0 it formatted the one with CWB . At first I thought I messed up something so I set CWB again, tried again, and same thing happened so that was when I kinda figured what's the issue here .

Page generated in 0.57279 seconds with 11 queries