View Single Post
Old 13 March 2014, 21:32   #77

Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
you are right, if they keepthe amiga spirit and an even better workbench my answer yes, i would like the amiga still alive. But if it turns in set top box with a linux amiga anywhere, my answer is no.
Absolutely agreed.

The Amiga Inc. attempt to "resurrect" the Amiga as a PC-clone was pitiful. I would never want to see the Amiga name and the bouncing ball or checkmark logo on a machine like that. Even though it's priced ridiculously high, I consider the X1000 more of a spiritual successor than the crappy Amiga Inc. machines. However, the price of that machine is what I think will keep it from catching on and having any chance at gaining market share beyond hardcore enthusiasts.

For me, Microsoft seems the most vulnerable right now than it's ever been before. Windows 8 has become the new Vista, and 8.1 isn't doing that much to improve perceptions. Windows Phone is DOA. XP is still alive and kicking despite Microsoft's attempts to scare people into upgrading. About the only area of their software that doesn't seem to be hurting much is their server offerings and Office. Macs have always been in a minority share, but Linux's multitude of variants are right there alongside. Could there be room for a new platform that brings together some of the best of all the others?

Just on a side note regarding Windows....I've been checking out ReactOS. For those that don't know, it's an open-source re-implementation of Windows. It looks really interesting and I hope they're able to succeed with it. At least until Microsoft sees them as a threat and tries to kill off the project.

Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I would be happy to use a new Amiga as an HTPC - small, low-power, silent - but not just a Linux box.
If the hardware were something similar in size to a Raspberry Pi, but with a beefier CPU, dedicated 3D graphics chip, and more memory, but then with a modern equivalent to Kickstart (or just something more efficient than the average PC BIOS) where certain elements of the OS are built-in, and a completely written from-scratch OS (not a Linux derivative) that is tightly coded, as fast, responsive, and efficient as Workbench was on a 7Mhz A500, but with things like memory protection added and secure multi-user capabilites included, then maybe it could get some attention.

Here's a question for some of the hardware gurus...let's say this new Amiga utilized a PCI-Express x16 bus for expansion cards. If you took something like a video card for a PC, but then added a Flash ROM on it that held the Amiga driver in it, similar to how AUTOCONFIG worked, could that ROM be effectively invisible when the card is put into a PC, but then work if it was plugged into this new Amiga and shove its driver into the system at POST? This of course assumes that an expansion card could be hypothetically used in either a PC or this hypothetical Amiga.

Last edited by TCD; 13 March 2014 at 21:46. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Page generated in 0.05375 seconds with 9 queries