View Single Post
Old 08 January 2014, 06:39   #5
Ah, what the hell, I'll bite.

Well, you're asking for big players, let's just say hypothetically a company was interested that had the capital to really bring it back from 'the dead' (it's not dead, it's resting!)

1) Microsoft. Well, we know this wouldn't happen, and well here's why we wouldn't want it to. They would take the AmigaOS and try to make it use tiles and be all about mobile devices (granted the architecture of the AmigaOS is tight, so it really would be good for embedded or mobile devices, but the UI would need to be completely redone for this, which.. well there's Windows 8..)

2) Google would take the kernel, scrap all the libraries and create their own hacked together Java-like library for 'native' applications. Then there would be two versions of DPaint, one that is pay for and one that is adware supported.

3) Apple would take it, flatten and square off all the icons, and remove all multitasking from any programs that they don't approve of.

4) IBM. Here's an interesting one. They are technically the only large computer manufacturer that is using PPC chips in their computers/mainframes. I think it'd only be Karma for them to bring it back from it's slumber. After all, it was IBM having open specifications on their first 'PC' system that caused all the competition to die, not to mention themselves getting out of the 'PC' business and selling off to Lenovo. IBM even manufactured the Atari Jaguar, which Atari was very proud of at the time, and advertised it as such. Hey we're made in America! Yeah, sorry, no one gave flying monkey crap then, because all the other game consoles were made in Japan!

5) The best actual result of any 'company' would be if the source code were simply released to the Amiga community and then the opened source could then be improved upon by the community and AROS could improve as well as MorphOS, and there would even be more programmers helping out OS4. Of course Hyperion wouldn't want this (as far as I know they have the source for 3.x? So many various hands it's gone through, it's probably dirtier than a 2 dollar hooker at this point. It's had more crazy's in it than Freddy Krueger's mom.)

5a) Create an Amiga Foundation, like there is with Linux, that promotes Amiga as a platform and get some of the widgets/toolkits ported to it to make application support so much easier. If there was a branch of QtMUI and GtkMUI for it, how cool would that be? Or at least some sort of wrapper or converter for it. At least then porting a lot of applications would be a lot easier. Of course the big problem with a lot of these is that they simply aren't optimized for 'low' amounts of memory. Could you imagine trying to run something like Gimp or Kmail in 2mb of memory?

With all of the above said (mostly jokingly, the last part seriously), problem with programming the Amiga and giving it a rebirth, is that newer programmers are generally lazy and use lazier languages. Assembly is considered to be masochistic, and C++ is 'too hard' for the Java and PHP programmers that are everywhere these days. Personally I think the best programmers are those that can take a limited amount of hardware resources and make tweaks until their software runs well in those limitations. For example, Novacoder getting Quake, Doom, Wolf3D, etc working on Classics so well.

If someone could get something like Firefox to run on a Classic, I'm pretty sure everyone would sacrifice their first born to them. Netsurf is almost there, but seems rather crash prone, not to mention seems really slow. I say seems because it actually renders pretty fast, it's just that the whole system about freezes while it's downloading images, instead of most browsers where they will show images as they're loading. This is similar in how Apple's iOS seems to be really fast and smooth because they use transition effects to 'blur' the loading process.

Anyhow, this is an interesting topic. I really wish Aeon luck in their endeavors, the only real way though to make their new line of Amigas to be more tempting would be to lower the prices considerably, but they can't do that unless they do a larger production run, which they can't/won't do unless they have a large user base. So it really is a chicken/egg issue. Though if they actually could get a lot of developer support, then they could at least advertise the benefits of using AmigaOS4 over the Mac/Linux/Windows computers out there.
Page generated in 0.05697 seconds with 9 queries