Thread: ADF Virus
View Single Post
Old 06 January 2014, 14:54   #16
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strages View Post
Hi Guys, the reason I posted this thread is because Im using the HXC floppy emulator in my Amiga 500 and a lot of the games arent working. They get stuck on bootup at the this is not a dos disk screen. I contactd Jean at HXC and he told me that one of my adfs had the byte bandit virus which would render other adfs useless as well. I tried using the German Virus scanner with not much success. Would I be able to up one of my Adfs for someone to scan for me and let me know if it is in fact infected? Please let me know

You have to be very careful when dealing with a virus on your real machine. Once you encounter an indication that a virus is active ("not a dos disk" in your case) you have to switch off the Amiga and remove the disk from the drive. If you do not do this and insert another disk (or ADF) this other disk will become infected immediately. This way sooner or later your entire ADF collection will be infected.

Note that this "not a dos disk" game cannot be repaired. There are two ways to get a "not a dos disk".

- a virus like Lamer Exterminator randomly overwrites blocks on the disk with garbage. This way a disk which formerly was a DOS disk becomes NDOS. It may be possible to rescue some files from such a disk but not all.

- every boot block virus will overwrite the boot block of a new inserted disk. The virus boot block behaves like a standard DOS boot block and thus is not recognised if the disk is a DOS disk. But for games it was a usual protection to be NDOS all the time and to store specific loading routines in a custom boot block. This custom bootblock has now been overwritten by the virus and cannot be restored. This game has been destroyed permanently because the custom boot block is an integral part of the game's code.

Page generated in 0.04942 seconds with 9 queries