View Single Post
Old 31 December 2013, 06:09   #1
losso

Strange bitmap behavior

Hi,

last weekend, I was debugging an effect in WinUAE that did not show some bitplanes correctly. In short:
  • 5 bitplanes display (1, 3, 5 for background, 2 and 4 pointing to the same animation bitplane with a different modulo)
  • Areas where BPL 5 is set are rendered with a single color
Surprising details on top:
  • Works on my real A1200 (bottom right in the screenshot)
  • Works when using 6 bitplanes, i.e. EHB (which was my fix to have a WinUAE-compatible version; luckily, I could just re-use the animation bitplane without any visible difference, as the animated shape is supposed to be black, anyway)
  • Works when I leave out some effects before this effect however, I was not able to find a way to overcome this by reinitializing everything in the copperlist; nor did I find something suspicious in the debugger's custom chip register dump compared to the working version of the effect
Probably I am doing something strange/wrong to cause this effect, but I would really like to know what it is. Also, I cannot quite explain how the difference between the 5 and 6 bitplane modes is possible.

My questions are:
  • How is the behavior on a real A500 (or other ECS machine)?
  • What's the cause of this?
For testing, find a test executable attached (start with "bpltest 5" for 5 bitplanes, "bpltest 6" for 6 bitplanes).

Thanks and cheers,

losso

Edit: tested with 2.7.0 beta 16, A500 config
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bpltest.png
Views:	98
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	38474  
Attached Files
File Type: zip bpltest.zip (59.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by losso; 31 December 2013 at 06:25.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.05223 seconds with 10 queries