View Single Post
Old 05 December 2013, 06:37   #10
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If you're into using Amigas, you don't look for any kind of official tech support, excepting the few new products, even then you will deal with a specific person like Jens rather than some random certified employee. You come to a forum like this where anyone who has encountered and solved your problem will be happy to help and you don't need to see Toni Wilens certificate to trust his competence on winUAE matters.
I agree totally. The point would not be to certify that some of us are special "go-to Amiga gurus". It would be to gift our community with a technical certification that is unique to only Amigans. Any Amiga user could test and almost certainly qualify for it because Amiga users have spent thousands of hours immersed in the platform (versus the dozens of hours that your average A+ certified individual has spent with Windows.)

And I see that a main theme here is the idea that this certification would not be in any way useful in the "real world" and I don't necessarily disagree, but do we really know it would not be respectable? My experience has been that most certifications are often very arbitrary and not relevant to the job role (if job roles are what you want to talk about...) In fact, check out many entry level computer jobs and they may say under experience desired: MCP, A+, or equivalent. But MCP and A+ are suites of totally different and sometimes unrelated certifications! Is an A+ cert in printer repair really the same as an MCP in Access 2000? Actually for a lot of jobs - it pretty much is! Not that I'm saying we need these particular jobs. I'm really saying that as long as people put weight in the concept of a technical certification, rather than the content of the certification, why not at least have a cool certification rather than (or in addition to) a lame one?

Do a quick search on "Why learn Latin" and you see that there are arguments to be made for learning the dead language because it is considered foundational to language skills in general, even if it isn't used in one's everyday life/career. Why can't a retro computing certification be foundational to computing skills in general, even if it isn't used in one's everyday IT job?

Last edited by FastRobPlus; 05 December 2013 at 07:31. Reason: saw opportunity to use the word "Guru"
Page generated in 0.05314 seconds with 9 queries