View Single Post
Old 15 November 2013, 00:11   #23
Yeah 1.3 is ideal for running games from floppy. And your 1084 will run pretty much forever. Very occasionally flybacks blow but this is rare, and parts are still available, it's not worth worrying about.

The big problem of the 1084 is the front door that covers the dials can break very easily, most are already broken off. just a cosmetic thing.

Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Okay, but that would suggest that display preference is really subjective.
It suggests no such thing. My Trinitrons cannot even keep the picture straight, the left hand side is distorted like a house of mirrors. I both of them are the same model (one has teletext) so I suspect it is a design flaw.

Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Display accuracy is one thing, but it's got to be pleasing to the viewer as well. The two don't always go hand in hand.

What is accuracy anyway? Some would suggest a scandoubler and an LCD monitor while others suggest old school monitors like a 1084 whilst I suggest a CRT TV? Accuracy of display itself could be said to be subjective too.
You have to be kidding me now.

Accuracy is self explanatory.

If the signal source is 50Hz, and 60Hz is displayed, it is converted. To do that kind of conversion means either duplicating frames, combing/pulldown, blurring multiple frames together, or all three. It introduces visual artifacts and jerkiness that was not there in the source, and is therefore inaccurate. It is a misrepresentation of the computer's intent. Anything that deviates from what the computer is doing is inaccurate.

If the image is scaled, you get a similar problem. 256 pixels scaled to for example, 720p would be a scale factor of x2.8125. What exactly is 0.8125 of a pixel? At this point you may as well use composite, it is a far cheaper way of getting roughly equivalent quality.

I could go on about say, the GBS's awful sampling, but I won't bother. As I said it's a dead topic, the 1084 he'll get is the best.
Page generated in 0.07059 seconds with 9 queries