Thread: Beats of Fire
View Single Post
Old 22 October 2013, 14:06   #152

Updated exe.

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the demo won't work for many people because you forgot to include the siesta font (not present inside the archive).
This is actually my fault - the game was not reading the Fonts: directory from the package properly as I recall, but works if the font is installed in your Workbench:Fonts: directory - I completely forgot about that ages ago.
Very sorry for anyone that couldn't run it because of this issue. (Slaps hand on forehead) Thanks for that Denis.
Turrican3's CLI startup works on my old laptop winuae (1.6.0) with the suggested configuration.

I've updated the executable to default to the system font if siesta is not present - the link is the same, and I've added it to the first post - which is also worth a read if you need to know a few moves. The package contains Turrican3's startup for the CLI.

Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
About the arcade AI, in fact it's an hardware driven AI. Since it's a tile game, all the tiles have their positions (x and y), values (collision or not), and the program is actually refreshing the tile via the VRAM on this system.

One way to replicate the AI would be to find the script inside the ASM source code of the original arcade machine (i have started a while ago to ressource it hehe).
for those who know Gens Kmod on megadrive, it allows to see what the video display processor is doing. If the same thing could be done for the CPS1 system, it would allow to find where is the AI for each sprite, and then by checking the VDP hardware registers, just understanding how the hardware engine is giving life to the mad gear gang
This is very interesting! I'm actually ok with progressing with the AI as it is, atm I'm set not on replicating the arcade AI exactly but presenting something new, which I can use for a new game. I'll post a bit more about some of the intricacies of the current engine a bit later. I realise it's a bit raw atm.
And I'm using Blitz2: I bashed out a quick mockup in Amos - will one day upload that but don't expect miracles!

Last edited by leathered; 22 October 2013 at 14:12.
Page generated in 0.05062 seconds with 9 queries