View Single Post
Old 27 September 2013, 09:56   #482
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Since debating with someone who will just continuously twist my words to suit is pretty pointless I'll make this my last reply. It's tedious to have to point out every strawman argument someone mounts, and makes for a shitty pointless debate.

Err no, watch that video I posted. The differences in foreground quality are plainly obvious.

That's nice for you and maybe a few others, not so nice for the vast majority that had 1 button joysticks.

I have played Turrican 3 with 2 buttons on WHDload and it still doesn't feel as good as the control system in MT.

Strawman. I did post a good list of reasons in another post as to why Superfrog is not a great game. You appear to have ignored those for your own convenience.

"Pretty much" what does that mean? I just went over my list, I don't seem to have "pretty much" anything. Again you make up an argument so you can knock it down. I list lots of reasons why those games suck. I can list more.

Oh but it does. The central character can add a lot to a game. A lot of kids really liked Mario, are you telling me it didn't help sales?

Contradicting your own point above. And look at how Sonic sold. For a game that was really repetitive it sold buckets. The cool main character had plenty to do with that.

The graphics look okay, but the playability looks bad. I never said that graphics alone maketh a game. You seem to have put those words in my mouth. What a surprise...

It's the whole package that counts. Graphics, playability. The whole thing. Now imagine how bad this game could get with the current playability and really bad graphics. It would be getting less than the 6.52 score it's currently got on lemon.

Nice strawman. Yet again you twist my words to suit your argument.

The point was that reviewers of games take into account graphics and other factors other than just playability. Did I not mention that playability is the most important factor still? Yes I did. Did you choose to ignore that? Yes you did.

So they decided not to improve the SFX on the Amiga because they were scared of upsetting the user base with better SFX? I dunno about that one, seems unlikely.

A lot of Megadrive music is quite poor. I don't know where you get tinny from. Most complaints of MD sound is that it is muffled (Revenge of Shinobi for instance).

Owning both an Amiga and an MD back then made comparing the two games on the same system very easy. It was clear the MD had the better music in that particular game.

What is this "the same sounding instruments time and time again"?

I did, the title music of Mega Turrican on the Megadrive.

That's strange, considering I just played through Benefactor, that has neither parallax or a particularly memorable character, and really enjoyed it.

You've established nothing. In only one game I listed did I mention the main character as a factor. Superfrog has LOTS more wrong with it than the poor background GFX, which I did point out, and in three games in my list I mentioned poor background GFX as factors along side other playability issues.

Your post started with an Ad Hominen, then mounted strawman after strawman. How poor.
Sigh.

Firstly, you clearly don't know what an ad hominem is nor a straw man, and it amuses me that you would highlight that deficiency by repeating it throughout your response.

If I was guilty of an ad hominem attack on you, I would have written something along the lines of "you are completely wrong because you are a moron", and that would pretty much been it.

An ad hominem attack is where you focus on the person making the argument, not the argument they are presenting, and quite clearly that isn't the case as I've composed a step by step rebuttal of your post.

If your complaint is over my pointing out that your verbiage is excessively over the top when you present your argument, that's not an ad hominem attack on you, its an observation of a truth, but also, that observation was NOT used to write off your whole argument as evidenced by my step by step rebuttal.

Sadly then, we move onto another area you don't know about either, the straw man.

My points have been made in direct response to something you said, with regards Super frog, I made reference to the list of 5-6 listed games you wrote and put brief descriptions next to them as to why you couldn't play them.

I don't need to manufacture non existant debating points with you.

As for you not getting the whole SFX point, its called continuity, the same SFX were used as they are quintessentially Turrican SFX, and are instantly recognisable to those who have played the other two in the series.

Could the Amiga have used more dynamic sounds? Of course, that doesn't mean that they should.

As fr you using YouTube as your references, probably not the best idea when their compression and video format screws up many a game.

But again, we simply come back to your use of verbiage with "much better" and "tons better", you probably wouldn't have needed to feel so defensive had you not opted to be so wildly inaccurate with your claims.

As for your rather bold assertion about my debate with Dan Locke, clearly you didn't read very far, quite a few other people were of a similar mind to me, and at one point, the guy did finally concede a rather big point in the debate, which made much of the discussion moot.

Anyway, enough about all that, this topic is far too interesting to allow it to be locked, and as you've stated that was your last response to me in this thread, seems the matter is now closed.

Page generated in 0.05893 seconds with 9 queries