View Single Post
Old 27 September 2013, 08:13   #25
Graham Humphrey
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
You might be right about the info panel for a dizzy-style game, but I'd definitely recommend using a hardware sprite for the main character. Will there be many other moving objects? Bad guys to avoid?
At a maximum there will only be three other moving objects on screen at once - all enemies and they are quite small. Most screens will have between 0 and 2 though. Also of course there is no scrolling either. I might switch to using a sprite at some point but I'm not sure there's going to be too much advantage in performance compared to, say, a scrolling shoot-em-up. But if it turns out it will make things better then I will do it.

We also use a 32 colour palette which I assume the sprite will take from the upper 16 colours of that rather than using its own.

How will you store the data? I can share compression algorithms if you like.
Blitz uses its own shape files for storing graphics, and I will chuck in the occasional IFF picture too. The map files are produced in a map editor with a Blitz add-on and are saved as raw data. I am not too hot on compression stuff and it would probably be a hassle for Blitz to deal with but thank you anyway

I'm also a bit of a dab hand on the old ProTracker.
Thanks! I will bear it in mind - someone else already has voluntered to produce music some time ago but will see how that goes. Mind you after the experience I had with putting music in Downfall I might go for OctaMED instead - the commands for handling ProTracker modules are extremely buggy and the later alternative commands that were released only work on machines with KS2 or later.
Page generated in 0.05408 seconds with 9 queries