View Single Post
Old 25 September 2013, 18:30   #469
john1979

Since debating with someone who will just continuously twist my words to suit is pretty pointless I'll make this my last reply. It's tedious to have to point out every strawman argument someone mounts, and makes for a shitty pointless debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Better background graphics as opposed to bars on the Amiga, can't argue with that, but really, the differences in foreground graphics are slight.
Err no, watch that video I posted. The differences in foreground quality are plainly obvious.

Quote:
The Amiga version also had selectable 2 button support, so the whole Megaman grapple problem you had, I didn't... ever!
That's nice for you and maybe a few others, not so nice for the vast majority that had 1 button joysticks.

I have played Turrican 3 with 2 buttons on WHDload and it still doesn't feel as good as the control system in MT.

Quote:
But certainly its lack of parallax or whether or not the main character is annoying or not wouldn't and don't feature as to whether or not i'll play a game or not!!!
Strawman. I did post a good list of reasons in another post as to why Superfrog is not a great game. You appear to have ignored those for your own convenience.

Quote:
And you pretty much made the same point in the other four or so games you ''critiqued", laughably poor reasons to not play them.
"Pretty much" what does that mean? I just went over my list, I don't seem to have "pretty much" anything. Again you make up an argument so you can knock it down. I list lots of reasons why those games suck. I can list more.

Quote:
I think the main Mario character is crap, but it has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether or not the game is playable or not.
Oh but it does. The central character can add a lot to a game. A lot of kids really liked Mario, are you telling me it didn't help sales?

Quote:
I'm not overly fond of the Sonic the Hedgehog character, but its probably a little less random than an Italian plumber thats for sure.
Contradicting your own point above. And look at how Sonic sold. For a game that was really repetitive it sold buckets. The cool main character had plenty to do with that.

Quote:
What matters to me is bits in a game that irritate me that ruin playability.

Sleepwalker is a good example.

Its got all the shit you hold so dear in it, but it fails because the designers though it would be hilarious to have the main character have an overly long animation when he nearly falls off the edge of a high building, whilst you're screaming at the fucking screen for it to stop so you can stop the sleepwalker being beyond help.

THAT is stuff that should affect how you view a game, NOT whether or not its got a bit of superfluous parallax that other than visually, offers nothing intrinsic to the game itself.
The graphics look okay, but the playability looks bad. I never said that graphics alone maketh a game. You seem to have put those words in my mouth. What a surprise...

It's the whole package that counts. Graphics, playability. The whole thing. Now imagine how bad this game could get with the current playability and really bad graphics. It would be getting less than the 6.52 score it's currently got on lemon.

Quote:
As for your assertion that I should remotely care what a games magazine should think of a game, you're shit out of luck there as well. I think we can all name instances of absolute piles of dreck that were lauded on review only for the general Amiga games buying public vomiting into their laps as they wonder just what game it was the reviewer actually played.
Nice strawman. Yet again you twist my words to suit your argument.

The point was that reviewers of games take into account graphics and other factors other than just playability. Did I not mention that playability is the most important factor still? Yes I did. Did you choose to ignore that? Yes you did.

Quote:
As for the sound effects sounding better on Mega Turrican, possibly they did to you, but the Amiga also had two previous Turricans and there is an expectation that certain things will remain the same. Most of the SFX in T3 are the same in T2 and T1.
So they decided not to improve the SFX on the Amiga because they were scared of upsetting the user base with better SFX? I dunno about that one, seems unlikely.

Quote:
I think the thing is, MegaTurrican sounds so great to you because the Mega Drive was woefully short on music that didn't sound tinny, with the same sounding instruments time and time again.
A lot of Megadrive music is quite poor. I don't know where you get tinny from. Most complaints of MD sound is that it is muffled (Revenge of Shinobi for instance).

Owning both an Amiga and an MD back then made comparing the two games on the same system very easy. It was clear the MD had the better music in that particular game.

What is this "the same sounding instruments time and time again"?

Quote:
The Amiga however was blessed with great music in even some of the shittiest games, it was the norm, but certainly I heard nothing in the Megadrive version to rival the title music of T3 on the Amiga.
I did, the title music of Mega Turrican on the Megadrive.

Quote:
So, we've established it sucks for you that not all Amiga games had parallax or characters you liked and it utterly ruined games for you....
That's strange, considering I just played through Benefactor, that has neither parallax or a particularly memorable character, and really enjoyed it.

You've established nothing. In only one game I listed did I mention the main character as a factor. Superfrog has LOTS more wrong with it than the poor background GFX, which I did point out, and in three games in my list I mentioned poor background GFX as factors along side other playability issues.

Your post started with an Ad Hominen, then mounted strawman after strawman. How poor.

Page generated in 0.06245 seconds with 11 queries