View Single Post
Old 24 September 2013, 17:56   #438
Lord Riton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The tilemap system never have direct access to the tiles. The main processor is requesting the tiles display by the X/Y hexa coordinates in VRAM. This is why you can make graphic operations that an amiga just won't be able to do.
Not sure what you mean by tilemap here (sprites ?), sure , the Amiga can't have that BIG hardware sprites. Not sure why you're using the word "hexa" here, it's just a representation style for numbers (a console is talking in binnary, if you want to be that picky ).

Quote:
Look at Megadrive, CPS-1, CPS-2 games. The 68000 take care of the game logic, and is constantly pushing tiles coordinates (bytes or words) to the graphic chips, and the same happens for the sprites.
Changing some coordinates is not really what slows down the Amiga. It's more the fact that he has to wait for the blitter to be done. (if using the blitter, but he might be faster doing it himself on something faster than a 68000).
I see you differencies tiles and sprites, so i guess your tiles are more like the character tiles the Commodore 64 has, with just bigger tiles. Well i call these sprites too

Quote:
the amiga is moving the tiles in RAM "really", when a console or a coin-op machine is only moving tile references in VRAM. CPS system and megadrive are helped by a much flexible and powerful hardware functions.
Yeah, sprites ! Sprites do rock !

Quote:
And should i add that the CPS-1 for instance has the ability for example to perform hardware calculation (yes, capcom hardware engineers have actually moved this function inside the PPU chip.), this means that the board can process calculations that would make the 68000 sink if it had to do it itself.
What calculations are you talking from ? Plateform games do not need complexe calculations, if at all

Page generated in 0.05480 seconds with 9 queries