View Single Post
Old 03 September 2013, 13:50   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I would try and aim for a 512k chip + 512k other memory configuration. I'd go with 32 colour mode and extend the game area to 320 pixels wide (if it ran fast enough!)

I would reserve the last 3 colours of the palette (sprite 6 and 7 colours) for repeating those 2 sprites completely across the screen and use the copper to load the graphics for the 2 sprites at the far left of the screen, then a tonne of horizontal position moves to repeat the sprite. That'd give a 32 pixel wide repeating background layer made up of 3 colours.

That would be good enough for the animated lava at the bottom of the screen, the water in the 4th pic and because I'm manually loading the sprite data, you don't worry about losing one sprite's DMA when smooth scrolling.

For the first level with the tall parallax section, I think I'd make it smaller and just blit it with a mask every frame.

The tall cliffs I'd probably simplify the graphics so you would have a cliff pattern repeating every 32 pixels with the sprites rather than lose the graphics.

The 5th pic with the sun could possibly be done with a copperlist changing the background colour to yellow near the middle of the screen and use sprites 6 and 7 to hide the colour change. Then you'd only have to blit the thin black strip.

I'd then have 12 colours left (colours 16-27) for the main character which could also be drawn with 3 sixteen colour sprites. I think Rygar is 32 pixels wide and so one could be his weapon. A decent artist would then have 28 colours for everything else, and probably you could use a few copper changes in certain parts of the screen if the majority of objects can't move across them.

Page generated in 0.06960 seconds with 11 queries