View Single Post
Old 28 August 2013, 00:42   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Now I pretty sure the Amitek unit is the same thing again but the drive mech is in netbook/laptop form with a clever little interface board going to the 23pin drive port on the amiga. Mine collapsed on me one day ripping itself apart in my hand and then I just couldnt suss out where each wire went... dam thing was hot glued before the plastic cover was put on so there was no strain relief on the cable or anything This amitek unit was 1000 times better than the power c one! It did not need any drivers for starters!
I'm sure I have one of those drives somewhere. It's in a beige case IIRC, somewhat darker than usual. and the data lead is detachable, secured with a catch on either side. I'm not sure if it works, but it's never been taken apart AFAIK. When I find it, I'll see if I can dismantle it and supply the wiring details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
I happen to have the guts of another Power Computing XL, was originally in one of my a1200 tower conversions back in 2000/2001. From what I can see! The drive is an un-modified Sony MPF, need to clarify 100% but I am sure its just an off the shelf pc unit. Power C put all the interface stuff on the board along with the custom chip.

EDIT: How about this for a test! I shall fish out a NOS Sony MPF920 E/131 built in 2004. I managed to acquire a bundle of these brand new! I will then grab the power c xl board gubbins and hook it all up. If it works I will soon let you guys know
That would be much appreciated, thanks.

Page generated in 0.04945 seconds with 11 queries