View Single Post
Old 30 June 2013, 08:04   #1
fishyfish
Banned

Amiga Vs. Retro PC

Inspired in part by the Amiga vs. PC thread (http://eab.abime.net/retrogaming-gen...-new-post.html) Ive decided to put together a few retro pcs starting with a p133 and working backwards to a 386sx@25mhz and compare the same software running on my Amiga. Both system have their strengths and weaknesses, but it sounds fun (albeit pointless) to see at what point pcs caught up with 2d, and how the amiga copes with 3d vs. different spec pcs.

I'll restrict the pcs to 32meg EDO ram @60ns (same as my a1200), and will try with 512KB, 1Meg, and 2Meg video cards (no 3d cards). I'll also try with both DOS and Win9x, and perhaps another OS or 2. Seeing as my Amiga is somewhat fine tuned it seems only fair to do the same sorts of things to the pcs.

Again, all pretty pointless, but it'll be interesting to see how some of the long held ideas stand up when put to the test (ie. Amiga needs more power for 3d, pc is less efficient in general, etc., etc.).

Oh, and for the record the Amiga being used for these tests is an a1200+40mhz '040, 32meg fast, and a 32gig CF card.

Last edited by fishyfish; 30 June 2013 at 08:10.

Page generated in 0.05321 seconds with 11 queries