View Single Post
Old 30 June 2013, 04:38   #2313
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
So my monitor is a Dell E173FP, prob slightly older than the 5 year mark I was suggesting as there is no DVI input. I still can't get that smooth screen I'm craving after (I have PAL HI-RES Laced, display is slightly 'pixellated' on WB and games), but then again I'm intending to upgrade my monitor soonish, I'm just wondering if this is as good as it gets for this particular range of monitors or am i missing out on something obvious, I'm no IT fella, just a gamer after all!
To me the DVI output does look a lot better, I love the clarity of it compared to the analog VGA. So if I were you I would upgrade to a monitor with a DVI input. But if a smooth retro 'warm fuzzy' image is what you're after, then you might actually be better off attaching a CRT VGA monitor to the output of your Indi. The problem with modern LCD monitors is that they only tend to look their best when displaying an image that uses their native (i.e. maximum) resolution. Lower resolutions tend to look blocky or jagged. Some LCD monitors have their own built-in fuzzification (not sure if that's the correct term ;-)) for lower resolutions in order to compensate for this, but often it just seems to lead to a blurry looking image rather than that 'smooth' look you tend to get on a CRT. But if you stick with analog VGA, make sure that you turn off the DVI output as Mr Schoenfeld advises, as this does make a big difference.

Of course CRTs have their downsides too though. For one thing if you want a big screen CRT, then the tube is enormous. I have a 21 inch Sony Trinitron for my A2000, it's nice but I almost break my back whenever I have to lift it. ;-)
Page generated in 0.06127 seconds with 9 queries