st-th
Bad Taste Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
if the script files when decompressed has crap like :

00 00 00 00 00 03 00 1B 01 AB

instead of

00 03 00 1B 01 AB

the text in the game doesn't appear or is making a text shifting (displaying the next text just truncated)
Sure. The first .w specifies the number of texts in there, so $0000 would mean "no texts". However, none of the original files has that as far as I remember, apart from the ones where the texts were missing completely and thus had 0 texts in them (whirlwind and, I think, the device in the ruins on the forest moon).

Quote:
next, if in the script file you have something like 20 00 20 00 20 34 20

the parser will hate that because the text can't be NULL. this must be removed.
As I said, esp. in 3Map_Texts.amb there are several empty placeholder strings. These consist of $20,$00 or $24,$00 (not sure; $24 = $ = Ambermoon's "no-breaking space"). These must NOT be removed, or you fuck up the order of the texts.

A few examples for empty placeholder strings (all in 3Map_Texts.amb):

file 315, msg #10 / file 320, msgs #10 and #11 / file 325, msgs #10, #11 and #12

All of these MUST be kept, and none of these files has declared the wrong number of texts (neither too many nor too few) as you implied earlier.

Quote:
34 is not a value the parser can deal with.
As said above: $24 = $ = Ambermoon's "no-breaking space". It's used in places where the parser shouldn't wrap the text, and I use it a lot for formatting purposes in my own versions of the texts without any problems at all.

Quote:
Same about the crap at the end of the script files like 20 00 20 1A 57 7E. The three last bytes must be removed (i have met script files where they were even counted in the header, which is completely wrong).
A hexdump of those parts would be more helpful. There WAS crap in some of the texts, indeed, but that was mostly "cosmetic crap". As I said, I've seen all the messages during regular game play, and none of them crashed the game or caused problems, except for the really corrupted and missing ones.

(EDIT: lol, got the numbers wrong; $24 is the no-breaking space ($), $34 would be ASCII number 4)

Last edited by st-th; 22 May 2013 at 17:28. Reason: $24, not $34

Page generated in 0.05525 seconds with 9 queries