Thread: Ambermoon
View Single Post
Old 22 May 2013, 10:06   #458
st-th
Bad Taste Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
The english release need to be fully cleaned of all the typos (not only the already known ones but all the others remaining), i let that to any english fellow who would like to take care of it, since the french release is already huge for me alone.
What the English version really needs is a proper translation that keeps the spirit of the German texts.

A nice example is the first riddlemouth you encounter in Grandfather's cellar. You get a message upon approaching it, and another when you provide the correct password. Here's the German version:

Code:
DEINE STIMME KENN ICH NICHT,
DU KANNST HIER NICHTS ERREICHEN!
DOCH SAGST DU MIR DAS RICHTGE WORT,
DANN LASS ICH MICH ERWEICHEN.

DICH DRÄNGT DER DURST?
DU SUCHST DEN WEIN?
WOHLAN DENN,
GEH DEN GANG HINEIN!
The English translation of this falls flat:

Code:
I DO NOT KNOW YOUR VOICE,
YOU CANNOT ACHIEVE ANYTHING HERE!
BUT IF YOU SAY THE RIGHT THING,
THEN I SHALL LET YOU GO.

ARE YOU THIRSTY?
WOULD YOU LIKE SOME WINE?
PERHAPS,
THEN GO INTO THE PASSAGEWAY!
It doesn't rhyme like the German version does, and it doesn't have that "jovial feel", it's... MEH.

When I re-worked that text, I came up with this:

Code:
I do not recognise your voice,
which leaves me no other choice!
I will only allow you through,
if you tell me the right clue!

You suffer real thirst?
You hunt for the booze?
Well, enjoy yourself,
while I take a snooze!
It may not be the most perfect translation possible, but it keeps the meaning and the spirit of the German text, IMHO.

Then you have quite a lot of weird translation errors. A good one is the sign outside the wind shrine on the Isle of Winds. German version says "WINDSCHREIN" which properly translates to "WIND SHRINE". English original version has "WIND CALLS", because the translator probably mistook "SCHREIN" for "SCHREI" (the latter being German for "cry" / "shout" / "yell").

Page generated in 0.05272 seconds with 9 queries