Thread: Ambermoon
View Single Post
Old 12 May 2013, 23:16   #443
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Where are these locations within the game rather than in files? Have you taken a look to see if the v1.05 German ones "clean"?

I don't doubt that these could be anomolies and that you've done a great job finding them. But in my mind finding and changing files is only half the job. Especially when the bugs were not reported.

In my mind it could mean many things :

1) These are game crashing bugs but they are on sub-plots that not many players try and so were never reported?
it can be the case indeed.

Quote:
2) These are not errors but legal codes which do things you don't yet know about?
Sorry to say it like this, but the parser itself is "crap". It does blind read, and if it hits anything else than what it was made for, it crash, it doesn't display the text, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
2) These are errors but the parser is good enough to handle them?
Nope, because i have discovered that some of the crap bytes were even accounted in the header !!!

Quote:
3) These errors are in sections of the game which don't exist anymore?
This game is already huge. There is no room for unused things !

All the texts, because at this very moment i have FULLY translated the game text (except the executables and intro/extro), the german version has very clean script files strangely..... The english release was made using a buggy text tool editor, this explains why many files have crap inside, errors, typos, and so on. The errors i have spotted can't be done by a human, but by a program made to do so.

Dragon Flight had the same problem. No problem in german, but the english and french releases were plagued with bugs made due to a faulty development program. This was confirmed by Udo Fischer.

Quote:
4) These errors only cause minor text formatting problems and so no-one reported them?
Some errors would deliberately make a text no appear and then block you from going further.

Quote:
Can we (you) deliberately put errors like this in at the start of the game so we can quickly see the effect of the bugs and then the effect of the fix?
This program has a very simple rule : The number of text block must be what is really stored in the script file, or else you get a 'missing text block' error message, if your text block has $3F in size character, and you have $4F, the program crash, because the size is used as 'checksum' if you like that 'terminology'.

So including deliberately errors is useless.

i base myself on the errors found in 1Map_texts.amb and 2Map_texts.amb ;

If i find the same error inside 3Map_texts.amb, then those errors are prone to trigger the same problem, logically, right ?

To conclude, the french version had been dealt with by hand, my hand, and since i removed all errors, from all scripts, the french release is the cleanest of all, german release included.

i will wait for CFOU in june, to take care of the executable. In the meanwhile, i finish the translation of the game manual which, from what i have yet, looks very good

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 13 May 2013 at 02:30.

Page generated in 0.09844 seconds with 9 queries