Thread: Beats of Fire
View Single Post
Old 01 May 2013, 13:55   #121

The sprites are 64 pixels wide and can be any height. To make them 64 colours you have to attach two, one on top of the other. You can have different frames next to each other, taking up a further 2 sprites, and so on. The Amiga has 8 sprites, meaning the maximum width is 256 pixels for the parallx background. There are ways around that, which are beyond me I'm afraid.
The Amiga is able to choose the order of the sprites and the playfield. Using Blitz and the HRM it's not too much of a trial, Blitz provides commands for accessing the appropriate registers.

AMCAF maybe supports it, otherwise I'm not sure if you can do it with sprites in AMOS. You have to turn vsprites off I think, but I'm not sure about prioritising the sprites/playfields. AMCAF supports other cool stuff, like using more than one fire button.

Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
I belive there are some screens/levels/rooms without any parallax could more colours be used on these screens?
EDIT: I think it depends. The sprite hardware handles things independently of the blitter etc, so having no sprites doesn't always mean there's more power left for the bobs etc. That's the beauty of sprites though, they can give you a bit more 'edge'.
But if there's fewer bobs onscreen then yes, I think more colours can be used. And you're right, there are screens when there's 1 or 2 bosses.
I'd really love to get more colours in this thing.

Last edited by leathered; 02 May 2013 at 02:53.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.05132 seconds with 9 queries