View Single Post
Old 29 April 2013, 16:32   #7
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post
Nice thoughts mate thanks for sharing, would you like us to take a vote on whether we think is a man or woman in that photo?

Oh no you didn't go to Staffordshire Poly in Stoke did you? You poor poor man. No wonder that letter meant so much to you.

I’m not sure what the connection with an Amiga is with the original Letter? And what does this mean? “We'd just get knocked down by cars”.

PS Start the scanner up and get those pages on the web!! and stop poo pooing Amiga Action my magazine of choice back in the day, but I was a bit younger so that’s why it probably wasn’t your first choice.
It's a hand. Could be male, could be female. It's not important which ... the magazine in it is what matters :P

Amiga ("Keep your pants on" - Ed) was crap, and you all know it! At least, towards the end it absolutely was, which is the only time I read it, after Amiga Power folded and I was desperate for new software. Indeed, even the writers used to hide "This Mag Is Crap" jokes in it, but I've yet to read the legendary Son Of Boggis rant that apparently tore apart everything associated with AA in the final issue...

The letter writer became Amiga Power staff later on, and AP's offices were in Bath at Future Publishing; the connection to AP in the letter, was the feeling of awe and inspiration from looking at Bath and also of reading AP. The comment in Italics was the response from AP (probably written by J.Nash) that if they tried walking around Bath and wondering, they'd just get knocked down by cars instead.

No, I didn't go to Staffs Poly, although I did visit it once and have a picnic on the lawn on the campus off to the right of Stoke Train Station once... but I think my supposedly best friend then was just looking for examples of Stafford Beef to seduce. We were next door at Keele though. Lovely campus, largely sad times there. There was a sense of elitist superiority over Staffs Poly, but although I met some brilliant minded people at Keele, they were not in any true sense any more open minded, only educated a bit more and coming from largely better financial situations. But I was and remain working class in outlook, so I never had any ill will towards Staffs Poly. No idea what it was like to live and study there though; probably the same as anywhere, student life has largely been based around the same drinking habits as everywhere else in the UK for some time now. And no matter how smart you think you are, no one makes much sense buried under the "DUFF DUFF DUFF" of repetitive Student Union beats and 6 pints of beer...

It's a sad commentary on the lack of true intelligence, empathy or even ambition that the only emotional connections you could form at a British University where with magazine's letters; I suspect the vast majority of my fellow students hadn't even explored outside of The Potteries, and never even knew of the little delightful parks to be found there... I was supposedly amongst the best and brightest, but the experiences were achingly dull and repetitive. I'm not a puritan by any means, quite the opposite... but there's more than one cup to drink from, you know? Gaming was one of them. And it was interesting to see, hundreds of miles away, a fellow Amiga lover taking a moment to stop and think of some more of life's treasures.

Anyway, I really must scan the missing APs, but it's a slow process and it tends to damage the spines unfortunately. I added the two (and two was more than enough!) AAs I mistakenly bought to the AMR last year... but even the discs didn't work at the time! Shoddy, shoddy mag and you know it :P

Page generated in 0.04460 seconds with 11 queries