View Single Post
Old 06 March 2013, 13:58   #191
Originally Posted by Zoltar View Post
Some interesting points made here in the thread.

Piracy certainly didn't kill the Amiga. The possibility of getting software either for free, or very cheaply, certainly influenced some people's buying decision when it came getting a games machine. I have friends and family members that did that and I might have even helped sway their opinion. Some years ago, my older sister bought her young son a Playstation in preference over a Nintendo 64 specifically because, at the time, she could get games for 5 each.

I think we must attribute some of the sales of that machine down to the availability of cheap pirated software. And, I would say the same for the Amiga.

That certainly didn't help the game publishers and, in the above example, I think it might not have helped Sony either, in the long run, as they didn't get their cut of the income from the pirated games these people were playing but C='s situation was slightly different because they made dollars purely on selling hardware.

The main reason the Amiga died its death, as a market for selling games in, was the fact the hardware itself was left behind. I think we all know this. The release of the Playstation, perhaps more than any other rival's machine was, I think, the single most devastating blow that killed Amiga games market stone dead. Even if the A1200 had maybe a 28mhz CPU and some Fast RAM as standard (as I think it should have) it wouldn't have made that much difference in the end as the Japanese 32 bit machines offered so much more than would ever be possible even on the most expensive 68060 based machine for considerably less initial outlay.

AGA, whilst AAA would have been so much better, wasn't bad, for the time. C= really needed to have something like Hombre ready in about 1994/5 to have had a hope of competing. It's just a pity that by that time, they'd ran out of money. I'm sadly of the opinion that the Amiga's worst enemy, always was Commodore Business Machines.

The piracy aspect is interesting here too though. Remember that, when the Playstation was released, cheap CD burners didn't exist and so, it was for a time, an almost perfect marketplace for the publishers where everybody had no choice but to buy legitimate copies. And, if you're a company that makes games, which machine would you develop for?

Now, a question for everybody: If the Amiga games could have been ROM cartridge based instead of floppy disk, do you think it would have made much of a difference? There are a lot of advantages to using ROM carts besides copy protection, speed and durability would be the main ones that spring to my mind but I think C= may have overlooked something in not giving the Amiga a cartridge port.

What say you?

I think it was both. The PC was on the rise and piracy was propably there as high as on the Amiga but the market was much bigger so still enough sales. The second problem was hardware lagging behind. Beginning of 90s was A500 with two floppy discs (without HD) was still standard. Most games were already created for PC and ported to Amiga so the market was not only much smaller but they also had to invest to cut down graphics (from VGA), optimize the games for the slow hardware and make it possible to run the games from discs. So both effects combined killed Amiga as the leading gaming platform.
Page generated in 0.05648 seconds with 9 queries