View Single Post
Old 07 January 2013, 21:43   #448
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I'm not sure this is the right spot for this. But, why? What difference does it make? What did you intend to run over the IDE that you cant run of the CF? Larger drive? What in gods name are you planing on running of a 68030/42 (Since the ACA1230/56 wont run on the ACA500, i believe a 42MHz 1231 is as fast as it gets at this point?) that cant be fit on to a 128GB CF? A CF, that will provide faster access then any HD/CD/DVD hooked to the IDE. Of course. You could be thinking of the limited lifespan of your average CF of today, which is about a million writes to a single block. With my current write rate to my CF thats going to be about 15-25 generations from now. The only thing the Amiga writes to my CF seams to be game saves tho, so you might be doing things differently. Just a thought tho. If you intend to use a Amiga for a webserver with lots of random data writes, base the system on something else then a A500. I'm not saying it cant be done, i'm just saying its a bad idea.

Oh yeah. If you still really really want to stick a harddrive in the A500, i guess you could. Get a Microdrive. It's a CF type II package. You might need to modify the connector slightly as type 2 cards are 5mm thick rather then 3.3mm. But most the time it's a straight fit. They are a lot smaller storage, but has all the advantages, and drawbacks of a harddrive. Higher energy consumption, slower seektime, more heat. Did i mention they contain a lot less storage?
About that IDE/CF port:
* actually, CF are not as reliable as they say. I have here a drawer full of dead CF because they always fail at some point and become unreadable, even if you don't do much with them. I want a real hard drive. A MicroDrive could be good but they are quite rare and limited to about 5/6 GB as far as i know.
* an IDE port also permits to use a CD/DVD/Burner. It would still be possible to use a SCSI external one from a side slot expansion but the port is supposed to be physically closed by the ACA500.

After all, perhaps an ACA500 connected to the side slot expansion would open more options than an internal one.
Page generated in 0.05285 seconds with 9 queries