View Single Post
Old 03 January 2013, 03:31   #12
Galahad, Codetapper: that's pretty much what I mean about separating bugs-on-certain-platforms from errors-in-programming. I already mentioned "direct ROM calls are bad, mkay??" and WHDLoad insists on running the original game, which is great, but if errors occur in copying the originals you can't really blame the developer or publisher who added copy protection (and most all of them offered to swap disks if a disk was bad, it did happen since 3.5" was relatively new). You know all this of course, I'm just stating it for the record for others.

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Just to put some numbers in the room:

Of the about 70 games I installed, there were the following problems I can remember from memory, present on a stock A500:

Naughty Ones crashes if you play the bonus level too long, by collecting all the hearts
RocknRoll hangs if you fall in an abyss and try to roll out of it while falling down - you roll back, but cannot move when you reached solid ground again (not fixed yet in the install)
German version of Dragon Wars crashes in various places
Deflektor crashes if you try to turn a mirror in both directions at the same time, possible with keyboard control on my A2000
Atomix has a preset hiscore entry of 900000, but the highest possible score is only about 360000
Jumping Jackson has a score overflow
German Thunderhawk has manual questions which are impossible to answer

So the amount of major errors even present on the target system is rather 10%.
My definition of a game being buggy is that you can't finish it. The rest is just poor design. Should we call the horrible unplayable collision detection in Xenon 2 a "bug"?

Make sure also that you're calling a game buggy, and not the crack of it. Just to make sure, you say "installed" and "installer" - is this cracks or originals, on floppy, on the A500+512k slowmem? (Because that was the 'optimal platform' my claim was about, just to make clear.)

I've not been able to hang Rock'n'Roll, and I've played it a lot. (As a curious fact I whistled the title tune this afternoon.)

The Atomix one is evilness by the programmer but I wouldn't say that makes it unplayable or crashy. If I know crackers they may have jacked up hiscores even higher on some games
Page generated in 0.05302 seconds with 9 queries