View Single Post
Old 18 December 2012, 23:42   #64
Zikko

Wink Zikko speaks!

Hello!

I'm Erik Gustavsson, I used the alias Zik back in the days. I programmed Nuxelia, and the sound as well as graphics were made by Andreas Paleologos, then known as Odie. At the time we were members of the small demo group Craze, but the Nuxelia project sort of went on on the side and we kept on doing it a while after we we're no longer involved in any demo making.

This forum thread was brought to my attention by Dennis Skoglund, who got my contact info from Jonas Gate. It's really awesome that Nuxelia has drawn all of your attention in this way, and I'm really happy and flattered that you like it!

So, I thought I'd write a thing or two about it for anyone who might be curious.

Our main influences as I recall it were Wonderboy 3 - The Dragons Trap, Zelda 2 and the Super Mario series.

I built a rather sophisticated level editor for it in AMOS, it had multiple layer support and everything. Maps were made up of tiles as small as 8x8 pixels, although most blocks were grouped in 16x16 items.

The graphics were drawn with a very limited 16 colour palette as many games were then. Still can't believe how artists managed to still make things look so good! My god, Turrican 2 and so on.

Anyway, the reason we stuck with 16 colours was not to support ECS, but rather to use the other four bit planes to achieve cool effects with background and other stuff. If I remember correctly, I didn't use dual playfield mode as one of you guessed, but I constructed palettes to achieve similar effects.

I'm still pretty satisfied with how the gradual parallax effect on the sky of the upper screens came out. What's really a shame is that no one got to see any of the other effects that we produced. We made a snow effect where snow flakes appeared in the intersection points of odd and even bit planes with differently angled diagonal lines. Many hundreds of cozy looking snowflakes at zero CPU cost!

Also, we came pretty far on a castle environment with ghosts and mummies, and it also had a BOSS at the end. A real scary looking wizard with all sorts of tricks up his sleeve, such as a cross-screen lightning constructed with the polygon filling features of the blitter chip and a super large rock appearing over your head and falling down, both features using palette tricks and those extra four planes.

Gameplay-wise, from what I've gathered of the YouTube video and your questions, I think you still have some things to discover! :-) There's an upward and downward sword attack, used through just holding the joystick up or down as you press fire during a jump. The upward strike will help you hit some far up question mark blocks, and the downward one is very useful against many monsters.

You switch between the various items by pressing space, and you activate those by pressing down as you stand. The bomb will shatter crackled blocks, clearing the path to treasures here and there.

I think you read signs by pressing and holding fire, or was it up? And wasn't the shop in the demo, a little hut, possibly accessed by an awkward combination of holding fire and then pressing up? Not sure here.

Sadly the game is unlikely to be completed or released for several reasons. We did have contact with some publishers, but the Amiga marked by then was already less than hot, and we were worried about signing contracts that involved completing the game with only a small part of the revenue offered as payment. Also, a little worried about losing the source code, I asked a friend to backup the stuff for me, but instead he managed to destroy the hard disk. I did have an earlier backup, but not very recent so that kind of put me off.

I've tried to resurrect the game a couple of times. I made a Shockwave prototype using the Amiga graphics. There was also a very promising J2ME version with all new miniature graphics and gameplay, but that also never got released. But I guess it's not completely impossible that me and Andreas could team up again and make a similar game at some point in time.

Today I'm working with web, flash, mobile and social media at a company called Sticky Beat, see http://stickybeat.se. Andreas is a freelance musician and animator in Oslo, see http://cuckoo.no.

If you have any more questions or comments regarding Nuxelia, you're more than welcome to put them here. Again, I think it's just great that this old baby of mine still draws attention today!

Regards,
Erik Gustavsson / Zik

Page generated in 0.05661 seconds with 9 queries