View Single Post
Old 07 December 2012, 07:59   #35
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You do know being able just to add stuff to your binary without even thinking about the filesize and never running out of chipmem is an incredible advantage?
Ahem, running out of CHIPmem is incredibly easy on AGA-machines. And just because someone has AGA and 060, you can't assume they have tons of memory either. And it's not like A500 is limited to 512k of memory either

Quote:
I stated the problem poorly. I meant to say that if you accept the limitations, you get average demo content: "1 module, 1 picture, a logo and some sprites is all that fits in chipmem after necessary buffers" - and that as soon as you want to be ambitious in some area, f.ex. high-quality samples in the module making it 300KB, you run into the limits and have to change your planning or scratch ideas.
Yes, and I said coding for AGA/060 you run into DIFFERENT problems, which you seem to have a hard time accepting. I guess the problem is that you've never actually tried making any 060-demos, while both me and StingRay have done both A500 and AGA/060.

Also keep in mind that while the target platform gets more powerful, the expectations on what's getting displayed also moves way up.

Quote:
Um... And AGA/060 has an FPU. That makes that platform easier to code those on. That's why even simpler attempts at texture-mapping get more appreciation on limited platforms. Thanks for agreeing with me...?
There are actually 060-accelerators without an FPU, so if you want to be sure to be really compatible, you can't use the FPU. And the FPU isn't really that fast anyway, so for speed it's better to only use integers.

Quote:
I was just calling what I think is one major reason for why so A500 1MB is getting so little love from coders. You seem to want to see more demos for the A500 as well so why not suggest alternative reasons?
The Amiga in general is getting very little love, the problem being that it's such a varied platform. Some people prefer the A500, some people the 060, while most AGA-users only have an 030-board. And making A500-demos with ugly tricks aren't necessarily compatible with accelerated machines (or badly configured emulators).

Page generated in 0.05323 seconds with 9 queries