View Single Post
Old 02 December 2012, 10:16   #26
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
What I'd really like to see in an Amiga ROM is native support for Linux Ext2 filesystem! Then it would be possible to format and install a HDD for a real classic Amiga on any Linux PC without emulators, which would be very convenient, plus it is generally a better filesystem than FFS in many ways.

I could perhaps do this myself if I knew where to begin.
Don't waste ROM space with that, as the Amiga already supports loading your custom filesystem from the RDB.

Where to begin: make an ext2/3/4 handler for AmigaOS. The PFS3 and SFS source codes are out there to steal the AmigaOS bits from, Mr. Babel's Amiga Guru Book contains lots of useful information too.

If you want to partition the disk in Linux, there's amiga-fdisk. It may not be capable of installing filesystems to the RDB like HDToolBox and clones, but it's open source so you can add the functionality.

Now having said that, IMO using ext2 is not a good idea on the Amiga. It is even more fragile than FFS if improperly unmounted and you'll have to figure out your own mapping for amiga protection bits, file comments etc.

Your time is better spent in making SFS and PFS3 drivers for Linux (FUSE drivers perhaps) to ease file transfer when you've mounted an Amiga drive.

Page generated in 0.04249 seconds with 11 queries