View Single Post
Old 28 November 2012, 00:13   #46
Graham Humphrey

I don't think viddi is "butt hurt" at all - but this whole thing interesting to me as there has been a noticeable increase in the number of new games being developed and released in the last twelve months which is certainly encouraging. I think TCD is right that more people probably need to team up and then they can all benefit from each other's areas of expertise, and I think generally more people need to offer constructive feedback so they know what they're doing well, and what they're doing badly at. I think things are getting better but I have played and reviewed a lot of games released in the last year that either (a) are well done on a purely coding level but have a pig of a game tied to them; or (b) have a good idea but aren't implemented especially well (or in some cases very badly). This is a bit of a generalisation but a lot of them end up in one of these two categories.

However, everybody can influence this. If people have the enthusiasm (and EVERYBODY who is making new games has this) to program, make graphics etc, and are willing to put the time in to developing, listening to feedback and actively wanting to get better then things will get better. This also requires people to give feedback in the first place, and perhaps to contribute things themselves to help with development if they have a talent for it (even if it's only playtesting or things like that). Yes, we certainly shouldn't say "oh, a new Amiga game, that's great, well done, 10/10" (and anyone who reads my reviews knows this never happens) but equally offering constructive feedback and encouragement is really important too.

Back on-topic

I think Agent Lux is a really fun game that, yes, is restricted by the tools used to create it but equally it uses Backbone in a rather impressive fashion and unlike s2325, I haven't seen a Backbone game that uses it better than this one. To be honest though, I'm more interested in how much I enjoy the end product than the technical aspects, and this ticks a lot of boxes for me in that regard. If people don't like it then that's fair enough really, you can't please everyone after all.

Page generated in 0.04364 seconds with 11 queries