View Single Post
Old 16 October 2012, 12:17   #1707
Originally Posted by lolof View Post
Following photo is for the developer...
BVision is a rare unit. And there may be more products that Indivision AGA MK2 does not fit with. I've tried a lot, but it was not possible to avoid BVision with this kind of connector. Any other connector would have increased the cost a lot. There are a lot of possible expansions in an A1200, and Indivision AGA MK2 is avoiding a lot of those already-occupied spaces. However, I can't avoid them all - there's no point in arguing with physics.

On another note, your ground cable is dangerously close to the capacitor just below it. Two of the three return cases I talked about earlier had exactly that user error. I removed the cable (which was pushing on the capacitor), the unit was back to working (not blocking the power supply any more), and everyone was happy. Please rotate the cable a little to the side, so it won't cause a short with that capacitor.

Yesterday's work has taken us a good step forward: The FPGA core now recognizes all screenmodes and reads config data from the configuration space in the flashrom. The screenmode is displayed in clear text in the OSD, so we can already demonstrate that this part (the screenmode recognition in hardware) is working properly. Our next step is to introduce all the counters that make Indivision AGA MK2 as flexible as we need it to: For every screenmode that the unit can recognize (that's currently 22), the user can set the following parameters:

- start of the Amiga-picture (X/Y coordinates)
- size of the Amiga picture
- horizontal sync front porch
- horizontal sync length
- horizontal back porch
- left padding area (black border, can be zero)
- right padding area (black border, can be zero)
- vertical front porch
- vertical sync length
- vertical back porch
- upper padding area (black border, can be zero)
- lower padding area (black border, can be zero)
- output pixel clock

Out of these parameters, simply *everything* is possible: Changing frequencies, position and size is all possible, but kind of hard to do if you have no idea what all these numbers are about. We will therefore provide Presets and add menu items that let you enter more human-understandable parameters like "move screen to direction X".

Now that we're merging the two parts (new core and config/flashtool), we're finding bugs that are true showstoppers. One of them (solved yesterday) was that the tool was compiled/tested with way-too-high-CPU settings, which would have broken compatibility with lower-end machines like the CD32 or un-accelerated A1200s.

The attached screenshot is using Super72-interlace as a source, so the OSD appears bigger for the photo (size is half for PAL/NTSC screens). The screenshot shows something that I am expecting will confuse a lot of people who do not like to read manuals (this has happened a lot with the previous versions of Indivision): The tool lets you configure every screenmode individually, no matter what screen it is currently running on. Even though Super72 is the current screenmode, the tool is set for editing the output mode of Euro36-nonLace.

The flash/config tool is still *very* engineering-like, as it's a multi-step process to generate a full config:

- configure all screenmodes
- generate unique core ID numbers
- gather all the cores, generate a 1MByte flash file
- flash the file

...and it's nothing we can release at this point, because those who have paid close attention have already seen that the tool is still showing two picture size parameters, where there's only one needed.

I'm hoping that it's a bit clearer how complex this development is. It's not just about editing a few numbers, but to fill a large area of pointers with life. We will continue on this path, but there is still no date for a release that I can promise.

Last edited by Schoenfeld; 20 August 2013 at 22:43.
Page generated in 0.07868 seconds with 9 queries