View Single Post
Old 29 September 2012, 19:51   #14
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Choosing a sampling frequency by default for every sample is wrong. Some things are best kept in different sample rates. Also, supposedly, different Hertz values are related to different notes, so just having them all at 11Khz would be incorrect (and specially since most things are base C and as thus should be multiples of 8363Hz, which 11Khz isn't).
Yes indeed. I'm not a musician, so I don't record instruments. Only song parts. And then I cut them to make them correctly loop. It's just for the fun of experimentation. And if I do sample at 11KHz, it's obviously to reduce the file size (and to try to get the better quality for the lower, well, almost, frequency).

As for instruments, of course, you have different harmonics for a single instrument depending on the note/pitch/octave. And some instruments have very particular sounding which sometimes demand different sample rate, I guess. That's why a common "A" (440 Hz), on an electric guitar sample, for example, will sound weird when you change note/pitch/octave on a tracker (and a chord will sound even worse).
Now I didn't know that we should look for multiple of 8363 Hz. Thanks for the info. I will try to record some tune at this frequency to make some more experiments !

Very interesting table, thanks !

Last edited by Jack Burton; 29 September 2012 at 20:00.
Page generated in 0.05487 seconds with 9 queries