View Single Post
Old 25 September 2012, 02:05   #34
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
^
A non linear sandbox text/graphic adventure, set in the first person view Based on the Skyrim universe.
I think this could be achieveable - my answers are based on very limited programming experience and thinking of how these ideas could be implemented using AMOS Pro -

You would need to break this project down into simple steps - I ve been thinking about a text / graphic adventure as my next project and would be more than happy to share the code.

Quote:
* Simple RPG stats system which covers, EXP, Health, Armour rating, Magic etc.
I ve been looking at modifying the Games workshop Fantasy Roleplay system for combat - magic would need more thought - In terms of simple steps just having traditional hand on hand combat to start with could be manageable. Most systems are just based on random dice rolls and modifiers which are quite easy to implement in a code structure.0

Quote:
* The player is able to explore the world without the fear of screwing up the game, if a certain item is required for progression the player should Always have the opportunity to return and acquire that item.
This just requires detailed planning before coding - would need the game quest drafted in terms of what are the aims of the game - how does the quest progress. Do you have a story already drafted?

Quote:
* The game world it's self would have a day and night cycle, this would Affect what time certain buildings are open or closed, shops and taverns Etc.
This should be simple with a simple IF statement based on a time - shops closed IF time is between certain variables

Quote:
* An inventory system similar to Core Designs "Darkmere", a player can Examine a chest and see its contents displayed via an overlay, items could Then be individually taken and stored.
I am sure one of my AMOS programming books contains a simple inventory system which could be modified.

Quote:
* To add variety to gameplay there could be several mini games, these games If completed successfully could level the character up.
I had thoughts along the same lines for my Danager Mouse adventure - I think opening this up to other programmers to show case their talents would be the easiest way - this could then be contained in a sub routine e.g. in the tavern you are challenged to an arm wrestle - then these can be bolted on at the end of the main programme.

Quote:

* A versatile text parser which supports all the common text commands, North, East, Examine, Sleep, Talk about.. Etc.
This is proving the current stumbling block for my project - there is a basic parser contained in one of my AMOS books but when I tried it there were some bugs - again keeping it simple at the start e.g. N, E, W, S and examine, take and use - once this works it could be expanded in the future.

An alternative - but less efficient in terms of coding would be to base the adventure on the Fighting Fantasy books method where there are some options the player can choose at each location.

Quote:
* Dynamic music and ambient sound tracks that change depending on players location (Similar to Chaos Engine and Shadow Of The Beast)
This is probably the simplest to code - just load new music track dependent on the location - the main problem would be creating the music - relying on others can be frustrating as other life commitments can hinder their progress and slow production.

Quote:
* One main quest which is story driven and additional optional side quests for score and XP.
Yet again keep it manageable - get the main quest sorted - then add additional options during play testing.

Overall I think this project could be achievable but would require allocating about 12 months too. The biggest challenge is keeping motivated which is why having small goals helps as you feel you are making progress.

I am hoping to have a good blitz on the Football Manager game this weekend then start my second game which will be a text / graphic adventure - at present I am torn between a Danger Mouse theme game and a Lord of the Rings Fantasy type game. Due to my limited programming skills it will be in AMOS Pro.

Page generated in 0.07313 seconds with 9 queries