View Single Post
Old 27 August 2012, 17:39   #32
fishyfish
Banned

@fitzsteve

Ive probably got this quoting thing wrong, but you should get the jist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
What you're asking is for someone to hand feed you, all the mentioned packs are great for a quick easy install or a base to work on but if you want a fully custom setup I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to build it from scratch!
Nah, it's not about being handfed, its about flexibility. There's always going to be something a person wants to change and or add to a distro pack, so its handy to make that as painless as possible. After installing the OS a million times, on a hoard of different setups a flexible distro type pack becomes quite useful, even to stop a person from manually having to install all thier own personal "usual suspects" to thier system.
Amithlon I find I tend to set up from scracth a lot and it gets tedious installing mui, magic menu, afa_os (great software, but tedious to set up) and afa_zune, updating libs, updating datatypes, changing icon set and so on and so forth even before I can think about installing any actual software Id use on the system.
On the same machine I also use something called euae-load, which essentially lets a person run custom chipset software on an rtg only system by using euae transparently. The initial setup of that can be a bit of work too (depending on how far a person "extends" its), requiring its own, different type of OS setup (runs a minimal os3.x behind the scenes).

On top of this I have my a1200 (40mhz '040), which again is a different type of install. Eye candy for example is provided by visul prefs + birdie and different icons.

Long story short, I think an all in one, flexible, customisable "distro" could potentially be quite useful regardless of the type of user. A winuae user might just click, "Full Install" for example, whereas someone on real hardware, or more experienced users might opt for a custom install where they can choose the stuff theyd install anyway (despite presonal tastes there is a "core" set of software most people use).

Last edited by prowler; 27 August 2012 at 21:17. Reason: Fixed quote.

Page generated in 0.05863 seconds with 9 queries