View Single Post
Old 24 August 2012, 05:05   #184
Since 1987
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
(off-topic, but I think everyone should know)

Out of every credit card purchase, a percentage (up to 5%) goes to the credit card company - "the bank". In Europe, most credit cards work like the American "Debit cards" where you spend however much you're allowed to, and it's taken from your account with a monthly bill. However, they're starting to introduce the "American type credit card" in Europe as well, where you can (over)spend amount X, but you're only allowed to pay back a certain share every month. The rest is paid back in the following months and you pay lots of interest for that money (up to 18%).

In essence, you're feeding the banks if you use credit cards. Banks already have too much power. I know I won't make a significant difference by not using credit cards (not even having one any more), but who knows - if you guys all stop using credit cards and don't pay all those (hidden) fees any more, you might have more spare cash to buy Amiga goodies ;-)

I stopped using all credit cards over 5 years ago. I have a Debit card, as you almost have to own at least one Credit, or Debit card to do some things today, like rent a hotel room, or make reservations for some things, plus many more that I can't think of at the moment. I don't know how much money I have saved in not paying any Interest to Credit card companies, but I am sure it is a significant amount.
Page generated in 0.05499 seconds with 9 queries