View Single Post
Old 29 July 2012, 04:49   #150
Mr B
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Overclocking a CPU is fine and does not cause damage, though it can cause instability if clocked too much.
Actually, increasing the frequency does increase the heat generated at the same voltage. It will use more Amp's, of course. However, overclocking alone wont destroy a CPU, as you said, it might be unable to switch reliably, and crash, but to cause permanent damage it has to overheat, or burn out through over voltage.

Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
The enemy is always temperature and high voltage!!!
You could read something more about it. I'm overclocking Computers for 15 years, and didn't kill any. 3 victimis was graphics cards, but dead because different reasons, 3 pairs of DDR2 RAMs (not sure why, probably temperature, or faulty chips), but still never CPU.
Electromigration could in theory be accelerated by over-clocking, and as such shorten lifespan, but the concept of killer electromigration is debated.

Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
New CPU after overclocking will never hit 0,5W!!!!! I would say about maybe 0.2W, but its still less than old Motorla MC68000. Much less.
If memory isn't messing me up completely, you can pretty much say that doubling the frequency doubles the Amp usage, and as such, doubles the heat output. If your figure of 0.05w is correct, it's not likely to be a problem. (In reality it's actually more likely to less then double the heat output & power draw, but for the sake of argument)
A old Motorola chip asked to do 100% overclock simply cant copy, and pretty much short circuits, causing it to heat up, and act like a small firecracker. In the unlikely event that you find one that actually can take the 100% overclock, it shouldn't get nearly as hot.
Page generated in 0.05655 seconds with 9 queries