View Single Post
Old 13 June 2012, 03:22   #10
pintcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
TFMX 7V, Hippel 7V or Mugician II, but you must have musician which create tune for these soundformats. These formats are not useful for ingame music and 68000, can be useful for 68020+.
Interesting. I never noticed this before, but you're right. I just opened DeliTracker's ModuleInfo for Turrican II & III and - voilĂ  - they use the 7 voice technique only for the title, end-part and other menu related stuff while the in-game soundtrack uses a simple 4 channel player. During the game the music uses mostly 3 channels. The 4th is either playing sporadic samples or remains completely unused. This is how they got the sound effects into the game without destroying the music.
I remember a similar example - I think it was the Outrun Europe soundtrack on the C64 by Jeroen Tel - where the whole music only occupies 2 channels (and still sounds awesome). Regarding this kind of channel "economy", chip music might offer a few more options, because you can create interesting mixtures of bass sounds or short strings with percussions in one sample - and in realtime.

Page generated in 0.04632 seconds with 11 queries